Καλά Χριστούγεννα! – Kalá Hristúyenna!
2012 was a year of surprises, the biggest one being that we are STILL here! What we thought would be a two year job relocation overseas has turned into a real settling in on the island as we go into our fourth year here. Richard is actively searching out jobs to get us back home to family in the States but the doors haven’t opened in that direction yet. It’s all in God’s timing, we know, and for now, there are many doors opening for us here. Besides, it’s really not all that bad when you consider this:
And the surprises just kept coming throughout the year – some big, some small – All unexpected God-sends. We adopted a stray abandoned Cretan mutt, cleaned him up and named him Suess (AKA, Zeus, Chap, Julius, Scully and Papou – Greek for grandfather).
Mel’s son Brandon came for a 10 day visit that was full of surprises in itself.
- Oma moved from her home in Colorado to Missouri and is settling in near her family there.
- Brandon and Shelby announced that we are going to be ya-ya and papou (grandma and grandpa!)
- Our poor car is definitely become an island beater with all its bumps and bruises. (We had our first altercation with a watermelon truck that left us with a bigger mess of a car thus earning us the nickname – the Crumples.)
- We enjoyed a visit from Evergreen friends, Ken and Andrea, as they landed here before taking off on a bike trip around west Crete.
- All this and much more including the surprising taste of ink pasta and our very own olive oil harvested from our small grove.
Travels included Turkey (Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus), the States for much needed family and friend connection (including two beautiful weddings), Germany, France, Cyprus and Austria. We encourage you all to visit our blog postings if you want to really delve into what we’ve been up to!
Above all, God surprised us by showing up in the most unexpected ways. He is our source of joy and continues to bless us with more delights and pleasures of friendships and faith. May this Christmas season and the coming year bring you surprises of the best kind from the hand of our loving Father.
“For a child has been born – for us! The gift of a son – for us! He’ll take over the running of the world. His names will be Amazing Counselor, Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Wholeness.” (Isaiah 9:6 – The Message)
Melanie and Richard